Saturday, July 21, 2018

Still Waters Part 1: Faith

Still Waters  Faith • Life • Wellness
Part 1: Faith
Psalm 23 has been haunting me in the most comforting way. It has been a reoccurring theme for months now and it seems to return to me again and again. Just yesterday it was read at a memorial I attended!
“He leads me by still waters”
Still waters evokes images of calm scenery, external peace and rest. But for me, it also speaks to an inner calm and peace, even when an external storm may be raging and I can’t physically gain the rest I desperately need. This is what I really seek. I can’t manufacture external circumstances or the weather of life, but I can choose what I build my life on. Will it be the shaky grounds of performance and acceptance? The thoughts and approval of others? Or will it be something more stable?
These words are in the context of: “The Lord is my shepherd.” The analogy is we are like sheep. Interesting fact about sheep is that they won’t drink from turbulent waters. They are skittish and afraid, and for good reason! They are terrible swimmers, and their wool soaks up water that weighs them down and they quickly drown! The Shepherd won’t force us to drink, but He brings us to a place that we CAN drink.
John 4:14 “Jesus said, “whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.” John 4:14
He will place these still waters within us! So that we can be a well, a source for others! That no matter what external chaos may rage around us, we can have His peace.
Years ago, during a very turbulent time in my life, my Aunt spoke a word over me. It was an image of a lotus flower bobbing along, floating on rough waters. She saw the roots going down, down, down through the murky waters and anchoring into the solid ground. Though life was difficult, changing and uncertain, God had rooted me in Him. He would cause me to float above the stormy waters of life. I have held on to this image through MANY hard seasons of life. My faith has been my still point, a place I continue to journey to cultivate and, admittedly, struggle to stay in.
One of the many things I love about scripture is that the characters are human and flawed, but God still uses them! Moses argued with God when he is called to lead the Israelites out of captivity and said: who am I? Why should they listen to me? I don’t even know Your name! I’m not a good public speaker, I stutter! (Exodus 3-4) When the Lord commissions Joshua He repeatedly tells him BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS. (Joshua 1) Why? Likely because he wasn’t FEELING strong or courageous.
Yet we don’t see ourselves as capable enough to do anything in our own strength, for our true competence flows from God’s empowering presence. He alone makes us adequate ministers who are focused on an entirely new covenant. Our ministry is not based on the letter of the law but through the power of the Spirit. The letter of the law kills, but the Spirit pours out life (2 Corinthians 3:5-6 TPT)
Wow, our competence flows from God’s empowering presence. This is the foundation I want to deeply sink my roots in! To receive the Spirit that pours out life, to be a well of living water.
PSALM 23
The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below! I would really enjoy hearing your thoughts!